We took some time off for lunch and Chuck decided to go with me to the Canyon area which was
about 16 miles north. There was another village area with shops and lodges and a visitor’s center that had exhibits about the great volcano caldera that powers all the geothermal features. This is a very active area with many earth quakes happening, most of which aren’t felt. I hope we can skip the earthquake experience. After that, we stopped at the lower falls of Yellowstone river. They were beautiful so we took the trail down to the brink of the falls. It was a steep winding trail with about 5 or long switchbacks to get down to the falls and the overlook. I made it down but found that I am not all that athletic as I tried to get back up the trail. Each switchback had benches for the out-of-winders who couldn’t handle the 8,000 + altitude and the climb. “Benches are our friends” to refine and paraphrase our friend Lee’s favorite saying.
We also looked at the Upper Falls but did not take the walk to the brink. Chuck wouldn’t admit it but I think he was glad I …no, my feet and knees…opted out of that walk. We went back to the trailer, fixed supper and after a good thunderstorm , we took the dogs for a long walk around the campground. My feet and legs complained all night long.
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Yellowstone Day 2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment