Tuesday, August 4, 2009

In...In...Internet

A Few Thoughts on 21st Century Communication while Camping.

Our trip is drawing to a close. Tomorrow, we head for Chama for a few days, then to Palo Duro Canyon. We will be back in good ole' West Texas in less than 2 weeks. Traveling has been tremendously fun. I have loved the many things we've seen and the nice people we have met. I've also enjoyed keeping friends and family up to date on the trip with this blog. It is amazing to me that in the short span of about 4 years, nearly every commercial campground has WiFI access. Some connections are really good while others are just plain frustrating. Cell phone connections have also improved immensely...good-by to waiting in line for the pay phone to check in at home. We have grown too old to camp in the back country away from the rest of the tourists and in many ways it is very nice to have all the comforts. However, tourist areas are busy and full of traffic making it somewhat less enjoyable.

Some of the times I've tried to update this blog I found that slow connections are blog-impossible. Since I was scolded for not checking in or updating my blog for over a week, I will let you all know that Internet connections for the next several days at Chama will be iffy and will be non existent in Palo Duro Canyon. Cell phone coverage may be limited as well. We're headed back into the techno past. So if you don't hear from us via this blog...we haven't fallen of the edge of the earth -- just out of tower range.

No comments: