Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ft. Stockton April 26, 2009

Sunday afternoon, April 26th, I drove to Ft. Stockton to present a program on Women on Frontier Army Posts and How to Get Started in Living History at Historic Ft. Stockton, a restored frontier army post. There were about 20 ladies there which thrilled Martha, the curator of the site. I began with a skit presenting the letters of Laura Clark Carpenter, an army wife who was at Fort Stockton in 1860. Then, I told about life on a frontier post from the point of views of officer's wives, servants and laundresses. Of course, someone "had" to up those other women"soiled doves" and they had to be discussed too.

Many of the women were wanting to volunteer at the fort as costumed docents so I discussed getting started as a living historian and creating period clothing. I also showed a slideshow of past Ft. Stockton events.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the presentation and I left feeling very good about the whole thing.

On Monday , we sold our Trail Manor pop-up to a man from Louisiana. "oh, glorious day" We were delighted to have that burden lifted. Two trailers are just two, too many. We are getting ready to go to Ft. Chadbourne this weekend for another event. Then it will be only a three week countdown until we leave on our big trip.

Weather zip 79735

No comments: